Tuesday, January 31, 2006

And the beat goes on

For quite some time now I have tried with all my being to avoid the taboo topic of love for homosexuals.
One of my friends is gay. At least, he has come to believe he is gay. His actual words to me were, "I like men."
I am very conservative in my thinking and believing, but God has blessed me with an incredible capacity for forgiveness compassion and wisdom so I can usually understand people with extremely liberal tendencies. But, that does not make me one of those people.
I firmly, with total disregard for science, do NOT believe that a person can be born gay. To be gay is to sin, and God would not Create one of His own to forever live a slave to sin.
Here's where the lines to start to go fuzzy and gray on me.
For a man, desire for a woman is temptation, and acting upon that desire (lust) is the sin. For a gay man, is the desire for a man the sin just as much as acting upon it? I think so. I don't know concretely yet, I'm waiting for someone to draw me a picture.
Because, if simply having homosexual desires is only a temptation, then a man could admit that he is attracted to men and still not sin as long as he practices celibacy, correct? But, if having homosexual desires is the original sin, then the person would live their whole life a slave to sin, right?
I only ask because I've somehow managed to avoid this topic for quite a long time now, but unfortunately now is the time for me to pick my side (forgive my crude terminology).
I care about my friend, and regardless of his prefered orientation I will always care for him and embrace the sinner, not the sin, but I am a little confused.

On another note, I'm stuck. I feel as if I am without direction. I just really don't feel a sense of security in some of the things I do. I have lost my guidance somewhere. All I really want for me right at the moment is to just find my way back, or to rediscover that the track is still laying beneath my feet.

geoff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home